May I have a home-based business?

Home-based businesses are termed 'home occupations' in the Zoning Ordinance (PDF). Home occupations meeting certain criteria are permitted in any residential district. Home occupations do not allow:

  • Outside employees
  • Exterior signage
  • Stockpiling of materials
  • Emission of odor, dust, gas, noise, vibration, smoke, heat, or glare beyond the boundary of the lot 
  • Business activity between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am
  • Mechanical equipment not normally used for domestic purposes
  • Use of more than 20% of the total area under roof for the business
  • Off-site parking incidental to the home occupation

A zoning exception may be required for home occupations that generate traffic. For full text on home occupations, please refer to Section 4.37 of the Zoning Ordinance (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. How can I verify the land use and/or zoning of my property?
3. I received a Notice of Public Hearing in the mail. What does this mean?
4. What can I do in my zoning district?
5. Where can I find information on the setbacks, maximum lot coverage, minimum roadway frontage, height or density allowed on my property?
6. Where can I find a copy of the Zoning Ordinance?
7. I am considering rezoning, or changing the use of my property. What do I need to do?
8. Where can I find applications online? Can they also be downloaded and turned in online?
9. How long does the development review process take?
10. May I have a home-based business?
11. May I operate a daycare for children in my home?
12. Where can I build a fence on my residential property?
13. Can I have a storage shed or garage that is not attached to my house on my property?
14. Can I split (subdivide) my land?
15. Is a garage apartment allowed?
16. Where can I park my boat or RV?
17. Does my pool or other accessory structure have to meet the same setbacks as my house?
18. How do I register a complaint about a troublesome neighbor or nuisance property in my neighborhood?