I had a sewer back up during a recent rainstorm. What should I do?
  1. Call the Township immediately! During normal business hours, Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm, the number is 810-424-2600 Ext. 2903. After hours call 810-424-2611 (Township Police Department dispatch desk operated 24/7). Backed-up sanitary sewer lines, line breaks, sewage odors, and overflowing manholes are considered an emergency. On-call DPW personnel will be contacted to respond to the call. If the blockage is in the sanitary sewer mainline, we will fix it as quickly as possible and keep you informed about what is being done.
  2. If the sewer main is found to be clear, it is the responsibility of the property owner to call a plumber or sewer/drain cleaning service to correct the problem. The property owner is responsible for maintaining adequate flow to and through the sewer lateral from the property structure and into the sewer main.

Show All Answers

1. I had a sewer back up during a recent rainstorm. What should I do?
2. How should I go about having my basement cleaned after a sanitary sewer backup?
3. How do I pay for the clean up?
4. I have a problem in the sanitary sewer service lead (lateral). Whom do I call for help?
5. What is a sanitary sewer service lead (lateral)?
6. What is connected to this sanitary sewer service lead (lateral)?
7. What might have caused the sanitary sewer to back up?
8. What can I do to prevent a sanitary sewer backup?
9. What is a backflow or backwater valve?
10. I have a septic field and would like to connect to public sanitary sewer lines. How can I do that?